Before i ramble on, the photographs of my final Mossycoat piece (no i didn’t forget!) will hopefully be unveiled at the start of next week. I say hopefully because the photoshoot this weekend is very weather dependent! so pray for sunshine!
Okay… moving onto Faery Wings…
I’ve been making lots and lots of samples! I’ve decided i want to make earrings, however, what those earrings will look like i’m not quite sure yet! I do know that for the most effect visual translation of my Faery Wings haiku i have to get the forms perfect, so i’ve been practicing with different mediums and shapes to see what i can come up with.
First, i played about with a little paper:
This one is tissue paper stitched around a wire frame.
But the paper wasn’t giving me the best forms, so i moved on to metal.
For these copper pieces i was sampling with shapes, sizes, thicknesses of metal, and ways to attach the ends together (ie. stitch, soldering and beading). I also dabbled in a little surface texture, by shining up a few and satinising a few others; both were very pretty! so i might have to use a combination of the two.
My tutor suggested a sturdier metal to achieve more rigid shapes, so i sampled with a little steel wire.
I love the steel. It was challenging to work with (being such a tough metal and new to me) but it is a material i want to use. I really like the matte glittering shine it had after being rolled through the mill and i love the darker silver colour, so i think i will play about combining it with silver and aluminum (which is what the tube is in the first piece) in further samples.
I’m taking a break from my sampling this week to produce pieces to sell for the two upcoming Christmas sales my class is participating in, more details on those to come soon!