In my last post i introduced you to Coin-Operated Boy (Dildoes and Loneliness: And Introduction to Coin-Operated Boy) and in this post i’m one step closer to showing you my conclusion for this story piece.
Coin-Operated Boy on it’s surface presents itself as being about a dildo and when examined closer you see the loneliness and the heartbreak; this is the quality i want my piece to carry.
I’ve decided to construct a vibrator container.
On the surface it will represent the loneliness, it will be tactile and moulded to my touch; something to caress and run my fingers over when loneliness sets it’s fierce claws into my mind.
When i’m lonely i touch things. I run my fingers over my clothing, water bottles, my phone, my arms, anything within my reach. The need to touch is strong within the minds of the lonely, so creating something that screams to be touched is perfect in capturing the heart of this song.
Contained within this tactility will be a vibrator (in these samples that presents itself as a locket, but by my conclusion that changes a little).
These samples are all moulded using polymer clay, and i just want to give a little shout out to my wonderful Mum and Brother who helped me out with these! The day before i needed to get my model sent away to the electroplaters i injured my hand by rather stupidly trapping it in a door! it of course it was the hand i really needed! Thankfully my family was on hand to help my knead the clay…. otherwise i don’t think my wee injured hand would have been able to mould around the clay! So thank you so much guys!!! Much love!
This was my first model, just a prototype to show my tutors what i was talking about.
I loved the shape of this one and tried to echo it within all of my pieces. It is quite obviously a mould of a hand, but the shape also resembles the shape of a heart.
I loved the shape of this one, and it cut quite nicely and would have made an almost perfect seam when hinged… unfortunately i went through the clay when i was scooping out the inside part for the vibrator, and it was rather unfixable.
The shape of this one was a little thin and flat, so i decided to use it and test out cutting it in the other direction. It was easier to cut this way, but the seam looked wrong and it was going to ruin the piece when hinged in this way.
The shape of this one was beautiful, annoyingly i didn’t cook it for long enough and it was too crumbly and broke when cut.
On the other end of the spectrum this one was cooked for too long and was really hard to cut and really brittle.
This one was cooked for the perfect amount of time and it scooped out well, but the shape was too rectangular and not the beautiful heart-like shape that had appeared before.
This was it, this was going to be the one! The shape was perfect, it moulded perfectly… but i decided to make one more, just in case!
It glued itself back together when i cooked it again (after cutting the wet clay, i placed them back together to cook to ensure the locket would close flat when hinged)… but it didn’t matter, by that point i had had an epiphany! and decided to take this locket down a slightly different road…
…. tune into the next post to figure out where that road went!